Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mom's Mexican Soup

-- adapted from my Mom's recipe box --

This is a super easy recipe that doesn't take much time at all.  Plus - you might often already have these ingredients on hand so can make it in a pinch when you don't feel like going to the store.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1-2 bell peppers (color of your choice)
1 can chicken broth
1 jar salsa (16 oz)
Italian salad dress mix envelope (sold in the dressing aisle usually by the other packet seasonings)
1 bag frozen corn
1 cup uncooked pasta (elbows or shells or anything really)
8 oz velvetta chunks (or other cheddar cheese)


Directions:

 
 Brown ground beef.  Add bell pepper(s) and cook until tendercrisp.  Drain.

 
In a large pan (I just used the same large pan as I made the meat in), add chicken broth, salsa, 2 cups water, salad dressing spices, ground beef, pepper to taste, and frozen corn.  Bring to boil.
 
Add 1 cup uncooked pasta.  Simmer 10-12 minutes
 
Add cheese cut into chunks.  Cook until melted, stirring occasionally.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks great, Annie...except, I would have to find a substitute for the Italian seasoning mix and use regular cheese in place of the velveeta. This might be making an appearance on my blog soon--with credit to you and your mom, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably make your own Italian seasoning mixes - similar to the your taco seasoning mixes. I bet there are tons of options and recipes available for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking I'm going to make this this week! Yes, I already looked up mixes for a replacement...I'll come up with something. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete