Monday, January 27, 2014

Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie (No-Bake!) w/home made Kahlua whipped cream

My pies have taken a strangely alcoholic theme..
This recipe is adapted from Serious Eats.

I don't really like desserts, especially chocolate.  But I want to eat this pie every day of my life.

Ingredients:
One box chocolate wafers (I used "Famous Chocolate Wafers")
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar (I used turbinado, but cane sugar is good too I'm sure)
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
4 ounces dark chocolate
3/4 teaspoon powdered gelatin
10 tablespoons Kahlua
3 1/3 cups heavy cream (cold)



Directions:
- Pulse 36 wafers in food processor until finely ground.  Dump crumbs into a large bowl.  Melt the 8 tablespoons of butter and stir into the crumb bowl with 1 teaspoon sugar and 2 teaspoons water until it's all mixed and moist.  Press firmly into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
-Put chocolate in a large heatproof bowl.  I pulsed it up a bit in the food processor first so it would melt faster and more evenly.  Melt over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring frequently.  When smooth, turn heat off.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water into a small, microwave safe bowl.  Sprinkle gelatin over the top of the water and let it sit there 3-5 minutes until it's soft and gloopy.  Microwave bowl 10-15 seconds until gelatin is melted.
-Whisk 8 tablespoons of Kahlua into melted chocolate. When mixed, whisk in the melted gelatin.
-In a separate bowl, whip 2 1/3 cups cream with 1 tablespoon sugar to medium peaks.  I did this by hand, but I suppose an electric mixer would work too.  Fold the cream into the chocolate mixture in three batches until just combined. 

-Crumble up the rest of the chocolate wafers (8-10 ish) to whatever size you want.  I left them kind of big for a cookie surprise in the pie.

-Pour mixture into pie shell and chill for about 3 hours, until set.  I went to the gym during this time to not feel so bad about eating the pie later, I recommend it.

My assistant took this time to lick the bowl.


-Just before serving, mix one cup cream and 2 teaspoons sugar.  Add 2 tablespoons Kahlua and whip to soft peaks.  Serve on the side or on top of the pie.

1 comment: